The Valencian Pattern Patented by Walter E. Egginton


 

 

The Valencian pattern was patented by Walter E. Egginton on 17 Jan 1893 (pat. no. 22,136) while he and his father, O. F. Egginton, were employed by T. G. Hawkes & Company. The son retained the patent and took it with him when he joined his father at the latter’s newly established company in 1896. Therefore, one might expect to find this pattern signed with the Egginton trademark, but thus far no such examples have come to light.

dp22136

Brief Historical Sketch and Trademark

 

tegginton The Eggintons were “a glass family”, originally from Birmingham, England. Oliver Foley Egginton was one of four brothers from a second marriage. He specialized in glass cutting but was also knowledgeable about other aspects of the glass business.

Oliver emigrated in 1865, joining his brother Enoch and half-brother Thomas in Maine where Enoch had been appointed superintendent of the Portland Glass Company at the time the company was established in 1863. In 1865 Oliver arranged for the immigration of his sons: Joseph Augustus, Oliver Enoch (called “George”), Alfred James, and Walter Edward to work at the Portland factory. Here Joseph soon became head of the company’s cutting department.

After a disasterous fire in 1867 all of the Eggintons, except Joseph, immediately moved to Montreal to help run the recently established St. Lawrence Glass Company. Joseph initially stayed behind in Portland, but he too emigrated, a couple years before the Portland company closed in 1873, and established his own glass decorating company in Montreal. The St. Lawrence Glass Company ran into financial difficulties and closed by 1875, causing Oliver and Walter to move to Corning, NY about 1873 where they initially worked for the company that was to become J. Hoare & Company. When T. G. Hawkes established his own cutting shop in 1880 Oliver and Walter joined him. Joseph
also eventually left Montreal, sometime before 1890. He too moved to Corning where he cut glass for Hawkes from time-to-time but also set up his own business which included the design
and manufacture of stained (leaded) glass panels. Enoch, “George”, and Alfred James all died while the family was living in Montreal.

Oliver Egginton left Hawkes and established his own company in 1896. Walter joined his father in this venture which was incorporated in 1899. When Oliver died the following year, Walter became head of the O. F. Egginton Company. Although it prospered initially, the company began to fail after 1910 and was dissolved in 1918. The Egginton trademark, above on the right, is said to have been acid-etched on glass as early as 1900 (Sinclaire and Spillman 1997, pp. 133-6; see also Spillman, 1996, pp. 284-287).

Catalog

[Composite Catalog, c1910] EGGINTON’S CELEBRATED CUT GLASS. American Cut Glass Association, 1982 (75 pp.).

 

Patented Patterns

The asterisk (*) indicates that the patent remained with the patentee, and was not assigned to the company. In this case, of course, the patentee and the O. F. Egginton
Company are the same.


          Patent No. / Catalog or “Coined” Name / Patentee / Application Filed / Date Granted


22,136 / Valencian / Walter Egginton / 21 Dec 1892 / 17 Jan 1893 (*)

36,233 / “Magnolia” / Walter Egginton / 19 Dec 1901 / 24 Feb 1903 (*)

39,051 / “Trellis” / Walter E. Egginton / 14 Nov 1907 / 4 Feb 1908 (*)